Note: there seems to be a problem with the latest 1.0.18 update. Some people can not run the application after updating. The problem is being worked on and we will have a resolution soon. Sorry and thanks for your patience.
Update (March 30, 2014): The problem should be fixed and has been submitted to the App Store. Hopefully, it will be released in 4-7 days.
Update (April 2, 2014): The 1.0.20 update is now available in the App Store and should fix the previous issues.
If your question is not answered on this page then please “Leave a Reply” at the bottom of the page and we will answer your questions immediately.
- Game crashes on iPhone4:
Upgrade to iOS 4.2, if possible. Reboot your phone and try running the app again. The latest update has a lower memory footprint for the iPhone4 so let us know if you are still experiencing problems.
- How do I exit the current game or get to the load/save/options menu:
Click the menu button in the top right corner.
- How do I play a game on Game Center:
- Log in to Game Center before you start E.G. Chess or make sure that you are logged out and connected to the Internet. When you start E.G. Chess it will ask you to log in to Game Center.
- Log in to your Game Center account
- Click “GAME CENTER”
- Click “ONLINE”
- Click the “Game Center” button on the bottom left of the game server lobby. Note: this button will only be available if you are logged into Game Center.
- Click “Invite Friend” to play against a friend or “Play Now” to play against anyone else online.
- How do I create a normal game on the server without using Game Center:
Click the “Add Game” button.
- How do I continue a game that was interrupted:
- Make sure that you are connected to the Internet
- Click “TWO PLAYER” or “GAME CENTER” from the main menu
- Click “ONLINE”
- Click the “My Active Games” tab, if it is not already selected
- A list of your unfinished games will appear in this section
- Click “Load” to play a game.
- The game ended in stalemate when the current player could still move:
Either the game ended due to threefold repetition or because of the fifty-move rule.
- The game displayed “You won!” even though the game was not finished when playing online:
The opposing player resigned from the game so you did win.
- How do I change the time of the games online:
Under the menu item “GAME CENTER” -> “OPTIONS” or
“TWO PLAYER” -> “OPTIONS” you can change your timezone.
- My achievement is not unlocked:
You have to be connected to Game Center for the achievement to be registered. If you are not connected to the Internet then the achievement will be saved. It will be sent to Game Center when you have a valid connection.
- My achievement was not registered online when the opponent resigned:
Achievements can not be accomplished if your opponent resigns from a game.
- Some achievements are not being unlocked in “2 player local” mode:
It would be too easy to unlock achievements in this mode so only a couple of achievements can be recorded while playing against yourself.
- Voice chat is not working:
Voice chat only shows up when both devices are connected through WiFi. It will not work over 3G. Also if your WiFi connection is not very good then voice chat will not work.
- 30 days later I received an email saying that I won or lost a game:
A game will time out after 30 days of inactivity. If you made the last move then you will win the game due to forfeit. If the other player made the last move then you will lose the game.
- How do I castle:
Select the king and a move dot will appear two squares away from the king, if a castling move is possible. Select this square and the king will castle. This follows the standard castling move notation (e.g. e1g1 or e1c1 for the white king).
- How do I play as the black pieces:
From the main menu, go to “OPTIONS” and click “BLACK”. Start a new game against the computer and you will be playing as black.
- Jailbroken devices are sometimes not running the game properly:
Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done about the stability of the game when it is run on a jailbroken device. Contact the OS provider or consider running it on a legitimate iOS copy.
Known issues that were fixed in version 1.0.2:
- E.G. Chess does not start up:
Temporary solution: Reboot your device. Hold down the Power button until you see the “slide to power off”. Slide the slider. When it has powered down, press the Power button to start it back up. Launch E.G. Chess and it should run.
- Computer will occasionally get stuck in “Thinking…” mode if you are running on a lower end device that is almost out of memory:
Temporary solution: Click the menu button in the top right to go to the menu and select “Quit” to exit the game. Reboot your device and start the app again and everything should be fine. You can optionally save your game before you quit so you can resume where you left off.